2017 Submission Categories
Books in any of the following fields are eligible for consideration:
- Jewish Literature and Linguistics
- Medieval and Early Modern Jewish History and Culture
- Modern Jewish History and Culture—Americas, Africa, Asia, and Oceania
- Philosophy and Jewish Thought
Submission Deadline: Tuesday, May 23, 2017
Only AJS members in good standing for the 2016-2017 membership year may submit their books for consideration or be nominated for consideration by a third party such as a publisher. Any book published in English in 2015 or 2016 is eligible for the 2017 Schnitzer Award. Translations or commentaries of a classical work are eligible for submission, as long as the book’s translator or editor is an AJS member and the book was published in 2015 or 2016. Translations or commentaries of a recent scholarly work are eligible for submission, as long as the book was published in 2015 or 2016. In this case, the translator or editor does not need to be an AJS member and would not be eligible for an award. Instead, the original author, who would need to be an AJS member, would be eligible for the award.
The year of eligibility is based on a book’s copyright date. Books may be submitted for consideration no more than two times in a two-year period; no book may be designated a winner or finalist in more than one category, whether in the same year or in a subsequent year. Scholars at all stages of their careers are eligible to apply. A committee of scholars who represent excellence in the year's designated fields will serve as judges.
1) Four copies of the book
2) Application form (to be completed on Interfolio)
3) CV (to be uploaded to Interfolio)
1) Authors and publishers will send books directly to the judges, along with one copy of the book to the AJS office. Please click here for mailing instructions for each book award category.
2) Complete contact information form and submit CV on Interfolio.
It is free to use Interfolio to submit application information. If you do not have an account, you can create one.
For authors or publishers only submitting one book:
- Click here to submit CV and application form for Jewish Literature and Linguistics
- Click here to submit CV and application form for Medieval and Early Modern Jewish History and Culture
- Click here to submit CV and application form for Modern Jewish History and Culture—Americas, Africa, Asia, and Oceania
- Click here to submit CV and application form for Philosophy and Jewish Thought
All applications must be uploaded to Interfolio by the author or publisher. However, for authors or publishers submitting multiple books:
Interfolio only allows one entry per category per e-mail address. If you are an author submitting multiple books to the same category or if you are a publisher submitting multiple books to the same category on behalf of authors, please fill out this contact information form for each book submission. E-mail each application, along with the author's CV, to Dr. Amy Weiss at email@example.com.
It is the author's responsibility to make sure that their book has reached the AJS office and all application materials (contact information form and CV) have been uploaded to Interfolio by May 23, 2017. Do not contact judges directly to confirm receipt of books. Only complete submissions (receipt of 4 books and online submission of application form and CV) will be reviewed. AJS does not return books.
Questions and Inquiries
Contact Dr. Amy Weiss
Grants and Communications Coordinator
Awards will be announced in late Fall 2017, and will be formally presented at a reception at the 49th Annual Conference.